Wednesday 6 February 2013

Hello Again


Hello again world!

Perhaps I should say, ‘Dear Diary!’ as I’m convinced I’m the only person who actually reads this but I must own it’s a really great way of putting thoughts to bed, if you see what I mean.

Yesterday we had a team meeting at work. During one exercise (on team building) we all had to choose a person who had inspired us. I chose Nelson Mandela because of his great humanity and his ability to bring a great country around to what is right, despite his age and infirmity. After the meeting I went home and thought about other people who have inspired me. Like my mum Sylvia for one, a lovely lady who died way too soon and suffered far too much, then there’s this one very dear friend of mine.

This friend said a few years ago, something like, ‘ok so the kids are grown up and I want a year off!’ so she took it, buying a ticket to go travelling round the world all on her own. She could have chosen the more well-travelled safe routes but no, she decided to start in Spain and ok so that’s nice and safe… but then she went on to Guatemala in central America and other far flung and dangerous corners. She says her wanderlust derives from being the granddaughter of a gypsy, I believe it too; as I speak she is in China!

My point is, I admire her courage and her bravery, believe me some of the places she went she couldn’t even take her phone for fear of being mugged and they probably hadn’t seen a lone Englishwoman in years. I had a message from her today, she downloaded my book last week and finished it today and happily for me, she loved it! If she were a character in my book she would be young Jed, with a desire to learn about the world and to travel around it. I suppose in that case I would be Gideon, happy to stay at home and nest! But in my head I travel, I can see Devilly with its busy river ways, bustling markets and imposing castle and I can see the Green Home Forest, deep dark and mysterious. I can also see the world of Arotia with its tall cold mountains and its fields of sunflowers and grape vines (Gideon’s party wake up on the slopes of such a mountain when they arrive on Arotia.) but I personally have never felt the need to actually travel, it is nice to go away but I always enjoy coming home, being at home, having roots if you like. Maybe it’s because I don’t think I could do what my friend has done, just pick up and go. I’m not brave enough, I don’t have the nerve; she has inspired me in lots of ways, encouraging me to believe in myself being the foremost gift she has given me. If number 2 ever gets published it’ll be for her.

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment